Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Living Primal: One Meal at a Time 2 (Olive Chicken)

Nobody can learn how to cook unless they're willing to experiment.

That's what I think. You could easily follow some recipe online, or even take cooking classes to make something delicious, but in the end you would just be recreating what somebody else already invented. I rarely ever follow a recipe when I cook, and I always try to be creative. If I'm ever in a rut, I might look online for some inspiration on occasion.
Here's what I usually do when cooking time comes around: I open up the fridge, see what I have to work with, and then go from there. There's a lot of improvisation here, meaning no measuring cups, tablespoons, or weighing involved. My advice: don't be afraid to improvise or try something new. You'll make mistakes, learn from them, and be a better cook because of it.
So here's a little something I came up with today. I call it: Olive Chicken.
I started off by taking out a hammer (seriously, I'm not kidding) and proceeded to smash some olives (I think I used about 8 or 9) until I got a chunky rough paste as pictured above. After that I took out the chicken breast and seasoned both sides with some smoked paprika and pepper. I lay the olives on top of the chicken breast and spread it out evenly on the surface. To top it off, I chopped up some onions and placed those on the chicken breast with a sprinkle of rosemary.
I placed the now decorated chicken breast onto some aluminum foil, put it on a tray and into the oven (preheated to 350 F). I baked the chicken for about 45 minutes.

Here's what it looks like all put together:
I had some steamed cauliflower on the side, sprinkled with cinnamon. Another experiment that turned out pretty well. The meal was pretty damn good, I just wish I had a better camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment