Friday, August 13, 2010

Living Primal: One Meal at a Time

At first glance, the Paleo diet seems to be very restrictive. Whenever people find out I've taken grains, legumes, and dairy out of my diet, the inevitable question always arises (though truth be told, I've really only eliminated grains. I still have tofu and FULL-FAT dairy products on occasion): what do you eat?

Well I don't know, just beef, chicken, fish, pork, deer, berries, broccoli, almonds, lettuce, tomatoes, olives, bacon, butter (yes, bacon and butter), turkey, cherries, apples, peaches, spinach, carrots, cucumbers, coconut, zucchini, kale, asparagus, seaweed, eggs, the list goes on and on. Basically, I try to eat REAL FOOD, and avoid microwave meals or all processed foods for that matter. Does that sound so unreasonable?
People have also forgotten how to cook, making easily prepared meals, such as Krafts Mac n' Cheese and Campbell's chicken noodle soup, increasingly more popular. In fact, only a small handful of my friends actually know how to cook. And when I say cook, I mean cooking from scratch.

Things like bread, pasta, and rice have become so integrated in modern diets that a lot of us have forgotten about everything else out there. Instead of having steak coupled with fresh vegetables for dinner, we'll have a bowl of instant noodles. Rather than eating some eggs, bacon, and fruit for breakfast, we'll eat processed granola bars, orange juice(instead of real oranges), and bread. The Paleo Diet isn't limiting, rather it opens a doorway to a whole new realm of eating.

So to prove that eating Paleo isn't restrictive and can often times be quite delicious, I'm going to start a series of posts focused on the meals I eat as well as their preparation. To start off, a simple primal dessert, one of my personal favorites.

Blueberries and Almonds in Coconut Milk

This meal literally takes about 40 seconds to prepare. Grab a handful of almonds and blueberries and throw them in a bowl. Proceed to drench the mixture in coconut milk. Personally, I like to freeze my blueberries in the freezer so that they become crunchy. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment