Friday, August 20, 2010

Living Primal: One Meal at a Time 3 (Simple Meals)

Cooking doesn't always have to be complicated. The simplest meals often times end up being the best meals. With some good basic ingredients on hand, anyone can whip out a delicious meal in a short amount of time. Here are two easy meals I had recently prepared.

Pumpkin, Pork Chops, and Spinach

I chopped a pumpkin into large chunks and boiled the chunks in water, keeping the water level low enough so that some of pumpkin would protrude. While that was cooking, I pan fried a couple of pork chops seasoned with smoked paprika and rosemary in butter on the side. I took the chicken out of the pan and cooked some spinach in the same pan with a little bit of water. When the pumpkin was soft enough, I put it on my plate and sprinkled some cinnamon on top. It ended up being a very light and colorful meal.

Chicken and Tomato Stir-fry

With a little bit of water, I allowed some tomato slices, garlic, and ginger slices to simmer in a pan , keeping the lid on, until the tomatoes became soft and mushy. I then threw in some diced chicken breasts and topped it off with mustard green. I typically cook meat before vegetables but in this case I wanted the tomatoes to lose almost all of their retained water. This really adds to the flavor of the dish. Note that I did not have to use any oil because I was using a nonstick pan and the tomatoes had also released a lot of water. I put everything in a bowl and garnished it with some olive oil and apple cider vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment